Sure you can get soup from a can, just like Andy Warhol used to do. You can get pretty complicated about it – I have a minestrone soup that I make that can take half a day just to get started. Or you may be intimidated by those recipes that require an immersion blender that you misplaced. But on these wintery days you are looking forward to some warming goodness that doesn’t seem so daunting. Found one.
Land O’Lakes has a simple tomato soup recipe that is simple, direct and pretty darn delicious. I made one small alteration by increasing the ratio of cream to milk. It is pretty good and you may have the ingredients you need in your pantry. Give it a try and enjoy homemade soup to celebrate the national day!
Herbed Tomato Soup
Tomato soup with a twist. Add canned tomatoes to this convenient tomato soup recipe.
- 2 tablespoons Land O Lakes® Butter with Olive Oil & Sea Salt
- 1 medium (1 cup) onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups 2% or whole milk
- 1 1/4 cups Land O Lakes® Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh basil, as desired
- Melt Butter with Olive Oil & Sea Salt in 4- to 6-quart saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat until sizzling. Add onion; continue cooking 5-7 minutes or until onion is softened. Add garlic; cook additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except basil. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, 5-7 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer at least 30 minutes. Serve hot with fresh basil sprinkled on top, as desired.
Adapted by WALTER