I have waxed poetically on my love of these little potato nuggets. I presented the recipe for Amy Klobuchars’s Hot Dish and showed you how to make them up in a waffle iron. Of course, they come out great from an air fryer. But have I told you how tater tots got started? Way back in 1934 a set of brothers rented a warehouse on the Oregan/Idaho border and started cranking out frozen french fries. The process left lots of little chipped waste which was sold for cattle feed. That seemed wasteful and the company came up with the product we call tater tots. They were tasty, froze well and fried up amazingly tasty. They were pioneers and Tater Tots were a huge success. The company eventually called themselves OreIda for their location and a legend was born. Here is yet another way to serve them, feel free to get creative with what you fill those perfect little cups with…
Loaded Tater Tots Appetizer
Craving something crispy, cheesy, filled with flavor and perfect for parties? Let me introduce you to a Loaded Tater Tots Appetizer recipe! Everyone will love these delicious handheld cups of crunchy tots that are filled with classic favorite toppings. Feel free to riff with other fillings.
- 48-60 frozen tater tots (16-oz bag)
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 green onions, sliced (green part only)
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Spray muffin pan cups with cooking spray. For mini-sized muffin pan: Place 2-3 tater tots in each muffin cup. For regular sized muffin pan: Place 4-5 tater tots in each muffin cup.
- Place tater tots muffin pan on bottom rack of the oven and and bake 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven.
- Spray bottom of shot glass or small juice glass with cooking spray. Use it (in a twisting motion) to press the tater tots in each muffin cup to make potato cup. Return to oven; bake additional 15 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cheese to each potato cups. Bake for 4-5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Transfer to platter and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add sour cream, bacon, and green onion to each tater tot cup, and other garnishes. Serve warm.