With such a tasty national day and time on the hands of many people at home, why not make homemade chips AND a dip! Here’s a couple of recipes to give you that option.
French Onion Dip
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 2 sprigs of thyme, stripped and chopped
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Cook chopped onions, minced garlic, and thyme until the onions become golden brown, aromatic, and very soft, about 30-35 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. Let the caramelized onions cool. Mix the caramelized onions with lemon juice and finely chopped chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover the French onion dip and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Serve with homemade chips to celebrate the national day.
Air Fryer Potato Chips
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt to taste
- Slice the potatoes into thin slices, using a mandoline if possible. Place them into a bowl with cold water and let them soak for at least 20 minutes.
- Remove from water, pat dry with a towel.
- Season the potato chips with salt and oil. Place them in an air fryer and cook for 20 minutes at 200°F.
- Toss the potato chips, turn up heat to 400°F and cook for about 5 more minutes.