Biscuits and sausage gravy is one of my favorite breakfasts. Eating out I often find it too watery or too gelatinous. I know the exact mouth feel I desire for this dish and so like to prepare it at home. Here is my recipe if you want to try it. I like to use my own homemade pork sausage which makes it even better!
Walter’s Gravy for Biscuits
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease, (or another lipid of your choice)
- 1 large onion, diced fine
- 1 pound breakfast sausage, (homemade if possible)
- 1/2 cup AP flour
- 3 to 4 cups milk, (to desired thickness)
- Worcestershire Sauce, to taste
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- In large pot or skillet, heat the lipid of your choice over medium low. Sweat the diced large onion for about seven minutes (do not brown).
- Add and break up the breakfast sausage and brown thoroughly. Add the flour and stir to make a thickening roux, adding more lipid if necessary.
- Slowly add the milk to your desired thickness for the gravy. Add the Worcestershire and Tabasco to season (consider them salt and pepper). Heat throughly and served over homemade biscuits.SOURCE: Walter Thinnes